This is an electronic device designed to determine the geographical coordinates of the area. Using this device, you can determine the location of a car or other object, control the movement of vehicles and goods, and track the actions of employees transporting various goods.
Device and principle of operation
Modern GPS trackers consist of 2 interface modules. These components receive signals from satellite devices that determine the coordinates of the location of a subject or object. The tracker may also include an antenna for receiving a digital or analogue signal, a battery for powering the device and several memory devices where information about coordinates is stored.
Modern devices for determining the location can be built into bracelets, smartphones and video recorders.
GPS trackers operate according to the following principle:
1. The device connects to satellites that track a car’s or person’s location.
2. Information about the object’s position is decoded and transmitted to the tracker through geographic coordinates.
3. Transferring location data to a computer, smartphone or another device with a built-in tracker.
4. Displaying information with the coordinates of the object on the screen. Often the data is sent in the form of SMS.
You must have a SIM card and Internet access to use a GPS tracker. Otherwise, the user will not be able to receive SMS with data about the object’s location. The device cannot transmit coordinates directly from satellites in rainy weather or high cloud cover. In this case, you need to connect to GSM networks. They track the location of the subject with a small error: 150 – 200 m. The owner of the tracker can listen to the noises emitted near the device. At the same time, the sound quality is low, which does not allow recognition of human speech in the audio file.
Criteria of choice
When buying a GPS tracker, it is important to pay attention to the following features:
1. Type of device: for a car, it is recommended to purchase special trackers that can also control the speed and direction of the vehicle.
2. Brand choice: pay attention to the brand of the tracker so that you can use it in the work of different GPS operators.
3. Price: The number of functions built into the GPS tracker depends on this factor.
When choosing a device, it is important to consider the functional features of the models. It is important that the GPS tracker has several channels of the navigation module and can transmit information wirelessly.
Portable devices are easily installed in various parts of the car interior. Stores often sell appliances that work online. Data transfer occurs only when the device is connected to the COM port using a USB cable.
When installing a GPS Car tracker, you need to place the device in a place inaccessible to the driver. The antennas mustn’t be covered by metal surfaces interfering with signal reception. It is recommended to hide the tracker in hard-to-reach places. In this case, the car thief cannot detect the device, allowing the vehicle owner to calculate the vehicle’s coordinates and pass them on to law enforcement.